Nicolas Garcia Belmonte
is Senior Engineering Manager for the XR Maps group at Facebook Reality Labs.
Prior to Mapbox and Facebook, Nicolas was Director of Engineering and Head of Visualization at Uber. Nicolas' group
built advanced products to explore self-driving car
data in the context of urban mobility. Prior to Uber Nicolas was Staff Engineer at Twitter, developing public-facing visualizations published at the NYTimes, Cannes Lions and during Twitter IPO.
Specializations: Leadership, Technical and Product Vision, Team Teaching and Building, Data Visualization Research
, Open Source Software, Computer Graphics.
- Leading a 80ppl engineering organization focused on mapping data and services.
- Our group develops Map Data and Services leveraged in 100s of surfaces in Facebook's family of apps.
- I work on setting direction, product and technical vision for the teams. I support people (eng + mgrs) growth and development.
- I align cross-team with various other FRL groups to support our mission to build tools that help people feel connected, anytime, anywhere.
- Responsible for a 60ppl product, engineering and design org focused on building Maps.
- The Maps group consists of 5 teams across SDKs for Mobile, Web, Embedded, Maps APIs, and Design.
- Delivered vision and operational planning for the next 18 months for Maps.
- Hired and coached team members, notably improving team health and output.
- Had to part ways with Mapbox to move from San Francisco to New York.
- Started as Staff Engineer → Engineering Manager → Senior EM → Director of Engineering.
- Started with 1 engineer, built a 50+ people organization
- Set product vision around data visualization for mobility which influenced multiple organizations at Uber.
- Shaped Uber's culture with a vision around Open Source and Computer Graphics.
- Promoted dozens of engineers and managers, to senior and staff level, advocating for and championing their work
- Team sustained 0 attrition during toughest times at Uber
- Team delivered industry-level software for visualization of geospatial, self-driving and business data generating partnerships with multiple teams and external organizations
Staff Engineer - Twitter
- Started as Senior Software Engineer → Staff Software Engineer
- Owned and developed internal frameworks for visualization of business and geospatial data
- Was technical lead for external data visualization work, owning the delivery platform and release process, partnering with the senior data editor
- Mentored multiple other engineers, taking the lead in the adoption of Scala-based tooling
- Leveraged computer graphics (WebGL) to deliver compelling visualizations of massive datasets
- Gave dozens of internal and external talks in english, french, spanish
- Published visualization papers accepted at IEEEVis
- Developed impactful open source software
R & D Software Engineer - Exalead
Created advanced interactive data visualizations of data indexed by Exalead Search Engine products.
Software Engineering Intern - Netlabs
and Oracle and MySQL databases.
- Lecturer for a 45ppl cohort at UC Davis MSBA program on Visualization
- Speaker at multiple technology conferences.
- Author of multiple open source software.
- Author of visualization papers accepted at IEEEVis.
Outside of work